Not all those who wander in graveyards are lost… here’s some gift ideas to guide your intrepid graveyard explorers through their cemetery wanderings, gravestone photography adventures, and ancestor-locating journeys!
- A membership to the Association for Gravestone Studies gives you access to the AGS Quarterly and annual Markers journal, which provide wonderful articles on gravestone research, epitaphs, and conservation projects.
- Have you ever spotted a fascinating symbol on a gravestone and wondered about its meaning? Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography is wonderful collection of the art history of gravestone iconography – this book has stunning photography.
- Understanding Cemetery Symbols: A Field Guide for Historic Graveyards (Messages from the Dead) is another great and funny resource for gravestone symbology.
- When you are photographing gravestones and the lighting isn’t perfect, this portable 5-in-1 reflector is a great item to have in your photography kit, which helps to illuminate hard-to-see epitaphs.
- A good first aid kit is invaluable while trekking through old cemeteries which can be unmowed and uneven, where trips, bumps, or bugs are possible – Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Series, Backpacker Medical Kit is a well-organized kit to keep in your trunk.
- The JoCo 16oz glass coffee cup is a great reusable mug for your hot or cold drinks, and fits great in a car beverage holder – good for the environment and good for keeping you cool on hots days or warm on cold cemetery adventures!
- For a fun read, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is a delightful spooky tale for kids and adults alike.
- Artwork created by the Gravestone Girls – castings, magnets, and other oddities – make beautiful and historically accurate gifts from real gravestones.
- A Graveyard Preservation Primer is a wonderful guide for responsible conservation and preservation techniques for stewards of old graveyards.
- Your favorite taphophile will love this Graveyard Wanderer shirt!
And be sure to check out these other gift ideas for all the history lovers in your life this holiday season!
4 thoughts on “Holiday Gift Guide – Gifts for Graveyard Wanderers”